TACOMA'S HISTORIC DISTRICT AND ALL THINGS OLD!

I work many of the Pierce County areas and I have always had an interest in homes and architecture of ALL styles, but I have a special appreciation for the “Grand Ol’ Victorian,” “Warm, Cottage Craftsman,” “Shotgun” and “North End Bungalow,” not to mention, our beautiful Neo-Classical homes. Our historic area is a wonderful mixture of eclectic history. The value of working with someone with a real love of the area in which you live is immeasurable.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tacoma, Washington, United States

University level Track and field Coach. Retired from Real Estate in November of 2011. Agent for Windermere Professional Partners in Tacoma,Washington for 6 years. I specialize in the North End Historic District but, I love all kinds of architecture. I am also a Track Coach at Pacific Lutheran University.

Saturday, April 23, 2011

"OLD TIME FIRST TIME" HOMES

























So....After checking out today's MSN News' compilation of the "Best Old Houses Neighborhoods for First Time Home Buyers" around the country;(there are 26 that they have chosen), I must say I was left a little unimpressed. Well....not really unimpressed...probably more like, challenged and a little defensive of our fabulous collection of historic beauties here in Tacoma. Why were WE not chosen! Humph. Our little pocket neighborhoods around here are chock full of personality and character, and not all are huge, costly "Monster Mansions." We really do have many very reasonably priced "Old Time First Time" Homes.






The North Slope has some of the most adorable Foursquares, quaint craftsman bungalows and small Shot GunVictorian sweeties around these parts. Up around the Proctor District are blocks full of smaller bungalows and traditional "Leave it to Beaver" classics. Heck! Our East Side has it's own collection of treasures being discovered and resucitated. I'm telling you...wise buyers are seeing the value in these homes as their construction is solid and their historic character is valuable.






I've seen clear beams and wood in these old homes that can no longer be found as they are not milling old growth trees like that anymore. I've seen staining and finishing techniques such as a Kerosene and Turpentine I've seen matching hardware in these homes, worth a thousands of dollars! Most people wouldn't even notice whether hardware matched everywhere in the house but, when dealing with an historic home, it matters! It adds value. Old postage stamp tile designs in baths and entryways that are works of art all on their own! And if you are REALLY in love with these historic dwellings you marvel at the angled, coffered and box beam ceilings. Let me go on....beautiful built in's, bevelled, stained, leaded glass, ornate wainscot, window seats, plate and picture rails, pass through kitchen doors, magnificent stair ballasts, transoms, laundry shoots....



Geez! Snap out of it Martha! I just REALLY love these old houses! I try to explore the historic districts of cities that I travel to whenever possible. I'll be sure to share with you when I do.






You can always feel free to contact me if you have questions about or are looking for an historic home. Well...honestly...ANY home. I DO sell all kinds of homes but, we ALL know where my heart lies;-)












Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home